Canadian Young Judaea (CYJ) is looking for a Director for our Biluim Israel (BI) summer program. Biluim Israel is the final phase of Canadian Young Judaea’s Leadership Training Programs. The program provides a unique summer experience for 17-year-olds, combining leadership development, seminars, nature adventures, and touring.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director (ED), the Director is responsible for the planning and executing of programs for this unique Israel summer experience.
This is a five and a half-week summer commitment with additional time required during the year to lead educational programs for the chanichim (campers).
Our perfect candidate will have Jewish camping experience, preferably in a senior leadership role; is passionate about Israel and has extensive knowledge of the country. Speaking and understanding Hebrew is certainly an asset.
What you will be doing
- Hiring Madrichim (Staff) both Canadian and Israeli with the ED.
- Helping ED interview tour guides that are provided by CIE (Israeli Land/Tour Provider) and ensuring the BI tour offers the highest quality of programs
- Attending monthly meetings from September to June with BI Administrator, and ED.
- Preparing all the yearly pre‐programs for both Israel and Poland participants.
- Training for the Madrichim both in Canada and in Israel.
- Preparing an updated, comprehensive program and staff manual each summer.
- Managing all communications during the summer to ensure all parties are well informed
- Accompanying the tour both in Israel and Poland; managing staff, campers and programs.
- Managing all camper issues during the duration of the program.
What you bring
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- 3+ years experience as a camp counsellor, preferably in a senior leadership role
- Jewish programming experience
- Extensive knowledge of Israel
- Post-Secondary Degree
- Working knowledge of Hebrew is a bonus
What you’re committed to:
- Results oriented, ambitious and strong ability to follow through on commitments
- Passion for leading and educating teens on a high-quality trip
- Self‐driven with a good sense of ownership
- Working seamlessly with a team of young leaders
Interested Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to Risa Epstein, National Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). Closing date October 18, 2019. Only eligible candidates will be interviewed.