Holy Blossom Temple, Canada’s first synagogue, is hiring a Director of Development and Donor Engagement. This position reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the Chair of the Holy Blossom Temple Foundation, and partners with lay leaders. The Director of Development and Donor Engagement serves as a member of the senior leadership team, working in collaboration with the Executive Director to lead the strategic direction, development, and implementation of all initiatives that enrich philanthropic engagement from all donor audiences including annual congregational appeal, major and transformational giving, planned giving, community events, and sponsorship. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape and oversee a team of two other full-time staff.
- Continue the development and growth of HBT’s philanthropy program to ensure HBT has the financial means to fulfill its annual programming goals while securing resources to provide adequate support for the Temple’s future
- Develop and execute annual and multi-year development strategies, operational plans, budgets and forecasts for HBT and the Holy Blossom Temple Foundation philanthropy program including donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Develop and maintain a strong portfolio and pipeline of donors at all levels of giving with emphasis on increasing major gifts working with the Chair of the Foundation, the Executive Director, and Fundraising Committee volunteers
- Structure, recruit and oversee a team of two development staff to the ensure successful implementation of all fundraising initiatives
- Deepen donor experience and engagement and attract new and increased financial support by leading, inspiring, supporting, and optimizing a team of both professionals and lay leaders
- Provide guidance, training, and support to professional and lay colleagues who serve as partners in fundraising activities
- Serve as an ambassador and key spokesperson to a variety of congregants, donors and other external stakeholders
- Partner with the Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure consistent messaging and communication to key stakeholders and with the Director of Membership and Community Engagement for targeted outreach
- Maintain networks with other professionals in the sector to maintain knowledge of competitive strategies and to benchmark
- Assume overall accountability for the philanthropy program annual revenue and expense budgets, working closely with the Director of Finance and Executive Director to create and manage the budget and allocate restricted funds
- Ensure compliance with legal and ethical standards as they pertain to philanthropy
- 5-7+ years of progressive professional fundraising experience including at least 3 years in a senior leadership role
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) or related designation an asset
- Highly knowledgeable and experienced in the development and implementation of multi-channel fundraising (new and traditional channels) and donor experience programs to steward and increase revenue from diverse constituencies, including campaign and program planning
- Experienced professional with the ability to translate organizational strategic priorities into successful fundraising goals and activities
- Proven success in managing a portfolio of major gifts, through identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral including excellent public speaking skills complemented by excelled interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to interact in a wide variety of professional and social settings with donors and partners
- Demonstrated ability to leverage a network to open doors and to understand the interests of prospective donors and align these with the strategic needs of HBT
- Highly motivated and results-oriented individual with the ability to navigate and be effective within a relatively small organization that values collaboration and teamwork as well as individual initiative and creativity
- Proven ability to lead, mentor and coach teams of professionals and volunteers with diverse talents and levels of expertise
- Excellent analytical skills, including financial management and accountability and performance management, with equally strong organizational and time-management skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Comfortable working and leading in a hybrid working environment, including excellent technological skills including proficiency with Office 365 and Salesforce or a similar CRM system with the ability to learn quickly
- Ability to understand the core values of HBT and leverage these to make a compelling case for philanthropic support
- Familiarity with Jewish life and culture or a willingness and keen interest to learn
- Experience working within the (Toronto) Jewish community preferred
- This is a full-time permanent position to commence as soon as possible with a competitive compensation package including medical and dental benefits, company matching pension program, and Holy Blossom Temple membership
- This position requires frequent evening and weekend work for programs and worship services that provide opportunities to connect with stakeholders
About Holy Blossom Temple
Holy Blossom Temple (HBT), is a leading Canadian Reform Jewish congregation with a rich history of responding to both tradition and modernity in our religious and spiritual expression. We pursue meaningful opportunities for personal growth and family fulfillment at every stage of life through belonging, learning, prayer and ritual, and acts of service for our congregation and community, our city and country, the Reform movement, Israel and all the world.
Having recently completed Phase One of a successful $33 million Renewal Capital Campaign, Holy Blossom Temple and the Holy Blossom Temple Foundation have turned their attention to providing philanthropic support for the Temple’s mission and priority areas and to assist Temple donors in fulfilling their philanthropic dreams.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Director of Development and Donor Engagement” no later than October 29 @ 4PM. The interview process will commence immediately with qualified candidates. No phone calls please. While we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Holy Blossom Temple values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization.
Holy Blossom Temple welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.