Part-time, permanent position (20 hours/week)
Application Deadline: June 16, 2019
Start Date: July 15, 2019 (flexible)
Location: Toronto, ON
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Development will spearhead Makom’s fundraising efforts and be responsible for raising $250,000+ annually from donations and grants.
Makom: Creative Downtown Judaism is a diverse and inclusive community fusing Jewish tradition and progressive values through spirituality, learning and culture. Makom’s programming includes Friday night and holiday services, Jewish meditation, adult education classes, cultural experiences, and family activities. Makom Afterschool is a pluralistic, Hebrew-immersion and Jewish studies program for children in JK through Grade 4. Makom ATID is an innovative approach to serious Jewish and Hebrew learning and Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation for students in grades 5-8.
The Director of Development will spearhead the fundraising efforts of Makom and be responsible for raising $250,000+ annually from donations and grants. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Development is accountable for developing a fundraising strategy and managing all aspects of a comprehensive fundraising program. The role requires a motivated and passionate individual who believes strongly in Makom’s mission and has a proven track record of achieving fundraising goals and growth targets.
- Accountable for the development, implementation and outcomes of all fundraising programs: individual, corporate, foundation, annual giving, events, major gifts, grants, planned giving, and monthly gifts required to raise a minimum of $250,000 annually
- Work collaboratively on the research and identification of new prospects
- Strategize and research public and private grant sources (agencies, corporations, and foundations) to identify potential sources of funding; write applications and proposals
- Cultivate relationships with donors through correspondence, scheduling, and attending in-person visits in collaboration with Founding Rabbi
- Execute the full stewardship cycle for donors: qualify, cultivate, ask, thank, and inform
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition, acknowledgement, and stewardship activities are implemented with the goal of repeat gifts
- Oversee the coordination of the resources necessary to carry out the annual fundraising program, including development budget, a donor database, and other fundraising tools
- Ensure all donor information and data is accurately captured, tracked, and analyzed through the creation of a donor database
- Work collaboratively and creatively with the Managing Director to appropriately position development opportunities and integrate messages in publications, grant submissions, reports, and collateral materials for cultivating and stewarding donors
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization
Qualifications & Requirements
- Passion for and knowledge of Jewish community, values, and traditions
- Strong familiarity with Toronto’s Jewish community and institutions
- Proven track record of fundraising success, including securing major gifts from individuals and foundations, successful management of campaigns, overseeing special events, and grant writing
- Excellent understanding of development best practices, as well as fundraising tools and technology including donor databases, e-mail and online campaigns, and donor research
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities
- Excellent organization, planning, and time management skills
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- CFRE qualification an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Access to a vehicle beneficial, but not required
Commensurate with experience, plus performance bonus contingent on fundraising outcomes
Please submit your resume and cover letter by June 17, 2019 via email to: admin@makomTO.org with “DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT” in the subject line.
Makom is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.