Makom seeks experienced, creative and energetic teachers for Makom Afterschool for September 2022 through June 2023.
Mon & Wed
Tues & Thurs
3:30 - 6:00pm
Duration: September 2022 – June 2023
Start Date: September 12, 2022
Application Deadline: June 15, 2022
Location: Downtown Toronto, ON (Kensington Market, Seaton Village, Wychwood)
Makom Afterschool provides high-quality, pluralistic Jewish and Hebrew-language education in three neighbourhood public schools to students in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 5. Children from the diversity of downtown Jewish families find their place in our warm and welcoming community.
- Teach two or four classes per week for children in JK-SK, grades 1-2 or grades 3-5
- Prepare lesson plans for 1½ hours per class
- Supervise recess and snack time
- Pick up students from their public-school classrooms
- Create and maintain a positive, welcoming and inclusive class community
- Teach Hebrew literacy and conversation following a set curriculum with space for individualized planning and approach
- Teach Hebrew through play-based and experiential modes of education
- Teach Jewish values, culture and traditions in a pluralistic and inclusive fashion
- Attend monthly staff meetings (paid) to plan and for pedagogical support
- Hebrew and English fluency
- Expertise in at least one of the following: Early Childhood Education, teaching Hebrew as a second language, experiential or informal Jewish Education, differentiated classrooms and classroom management
- Experience with classroom teaching, lesson planning and pedagogy
- Background in Jewish studies and traditions
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to children’s social and emotional development
- Desire to grow and learn professionally
- Passion for working with children
- Reliable and responsible
- Experience with experiential education methods
- Familiarity with child development and ability to apply it to lesson planning and instruction
- Training or experience in the Early Childhood setting
- Experience with differentiated classrooms, teaching multiple ages at once
All Makom Afterschool staff are required to take CPR training and pass a police Vulnerable Sector check, both of which will be paid for by Makom.
- Proof of triple vaccination against Covid-19 will be required for all Makom Afterschool staff.
- Mask-wearing and other policies will be determined before the start of the school year based on the public health situation.
Salary: $45/hour starting pay
For more information, please visit our website: https://makomafterschool.org/