UJA Federation of Greater Toronto is one of Canada’s leading local philanthropies, with a century long history of strengthening the Jewish community in Toronto, across Canada and around the world.
UJA’s annual campaign, which funds a wide range of educational and social services in Toronto and Israel, raises nearly $60M each year. The organization is also nearing completion of a $300M capital campaign to build and revitalize three Jewish community campuses across the GTA. As the organization prepares for its next phase in leveraging philanthropic giving to strengthen the Jewish community’s vibrancy and vitality, UJA Federation is seeking a, Prospect Researcher to lead our work in identifying and targeting potential major donors.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Campaign Operations, the Prospect Researcher will support the prospect management and research efforts related to UJA’s Annual and Capital campaigns. The role of the Prospect Researcher is to be responsive to research requests from senior fundraising professionals. This individual should also be proactive in identifying prospective major donors to expand the pool of potential prospects for future gift solicitation(s).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: providing in-depth research services (compiling biographical, financial, professional, philanthropic and capacity information on prospects), prospect pool management and identification using electronic and print-based sources, and the collection, maintenance and inventory of information, resources and records for UJA’s fundraising team with careful attention to detail and strict adherence to confidentiality practices.
Key accountabilities include:
- Work closely with the professional fundraising team to define and produce a range of research information products and reports including research profiles, reports, and biographical summaries
- Draft biographical, financial and philanthropic event bios and briefings on donors and prospective donors in support of staff and volunteer solicitation and event preparation efforts
- Review lists of prospects and prioritize them in terms of capacity and proclivity to give
- Deliver value-added information to professional fundraising staff with respect to their prospect portfolios
- Support accurate data maintenance, strategic tracking, analysis and critical thinking around the movement of top prospects
- Keep informed on prospect research-related trends and tools by participating in webinars, conferences and professional development/training
- Monitor and evaluate relevant current events, news stories
- 4+ years of experience in a similar or relevant role
- Experience in compiling, analyzing, and reporting information
- Experience with relational databases, online research tools, and commercial databases
- Understanding of financial terminology and wealth indicators is preferable
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to write concise and timely analytical reports
- Keen attention to detail necessary for successful identification and documentationAbility to work well in a deadline driven environment and multi-task/prioritize the needs of multiple fundraising professionals
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision
- Advanced level of proficiency in Excel and associated functions (i.e. pivot tables, vlookup and multiple-level sorting and filtering)
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed
- Advanced skills and proficiency in structuring search queries using Boolean logic, analysis and understanding of detailed financial reports and statements, understanding the significance of specific wealth indicators, including income, assets such as stockholdings, property and real estate value, luxury items, valuable collections and philanthropic activities
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to synthesize complex and diverse information.
- Impeccable organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships
- Must be flexible, collaborative and have a positive attitude
- A high level of respect for confidentiality and ethical practices
Classification: Full-time permanent. Excellent compensation and benefits.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume quoting REF# PR-CAM-492 no later than November 17, 2019 to: email@example.com
Only those applicants invited for interview will be contacted. UJA Federation is an equal opportunity employer. Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of references and background checks and a Police Records Check or Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Alternate Formats and Accommodation:
UJA Federation is committed to providing an accessible employment environment. We are committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and aim to ensure that dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of our corporate culture. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance so that we can arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.