Adath Israel Congregation
37 Southbourne Avenue, Toronto ON
TYPE: Permanent, Full-Time
HOURS: 8:30 am– 4:30 pm Mon-Thurs; 8:30 am - 3:00 pm Friday
Adath Israel Congregation was founded in 1903 in downtown Toronto and has occupied its current home at Bathurst and Wilson since 1958. As one of North America’s largest Conservative Shuls, Adath Israel is led by a dynamic clergy team under the guidance of Senior Rabbi, Adam Cutler, as well as a dedicated office team which oversees its administration.
We are now hiring for a Receptionist to support our office and clergy teams. This position will report directly to our Office Manager with a dotted line to the Executive Director. Due to the nature of the work, this is strictly an in-office role, not remote.
This important role represents the first formal point of contact for our members and guests who call or visit the office. Responsibilities include:
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Manage the reception area as a reflection of the shul’s warm and welcoming culture
- Greet and direct walk-in guests, vendors and couriers.
- Answer incoming phone calls and handle inquiries in a timely and efficient manner.
- Respond to general emails on a timely basis.
- Manage mail correspondence, including coordination of membership mailings.
- Make copies and scan documents.
- Maintain filing system.
- Receive and process donations.
- Manage office supply inventory and submit orders as needed.
- Provide scheduling assistance for the Executive Director and clergy team.
- Book committee meetings and meeting rooms as required.
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide planning support for our annual golf tournament
- Accept and process donations to support our annual Yizkor Book initiative
- Manage high Holiday ticket distribution.
A minimum of 2 years’ receptionist or office management experience is required. Prior experience working in a synagogue office and familiarity with Jewish customs and holidays are considered assets.
- Solid keyboarding skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, esp. Microsoft Word and Excel is a requirement (Powerpoint and Outlook experience are a bonus).
- An aptitude for learning new technology (Instruction on how to use our ShulCloud membership database will be an immediate priority in Month 1).
- Experience working with data entry
- You are a mensch, a genuine person who is friendly, patient, warm and a positive influence to be around. There is no room for drama in a congenial office such as ours.
- You have a positive attitude and are solutions oriented. You are energized by getting tasks done.
- Structured, well organized.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and collaborate with others.
- With your solid work ethic, you can juggle several tasks simultaneously and prioritize as needed.
- Shul membership
- Free access to shul events
- Health, Dental & Vision care
- On-site parking
- Paid Time Off
COVID-19 considerations: We have rigid Covid-19 protocols in place. Our employees, tenants and visitors wear masks and all are double-vaccinated. Meetings conducted in-person are held in larger spaces where social distancing can be practiced.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 8, 2021 (or sooner if a qualified candidate is hired)
START DATE: Mid December or Early January
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your cover letter and resume to Phil David, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org