The Danforth Jewish Circle is seeking a Treasurer to join its Board of Directors.
The Danforth Jewish Circle is a joyous and inclusive, accessible and inspiring Jewish community located in the heart of Riverdale.
Our members include singles and families of all ages who come from diverse Jewish backgrounds and cultural traditions, interfaith and intercultural families, and the full spectrum of sexual orientations and gender identities. Together we share a desire to learn, question, and foster a warm, welcoming and supportive Jewish community.
We join to connect ourselves to a vibrant community; to learn and grow; to share moving, musical, and meaningful rituals and lifecycle events; and to stand against injustice and seek ways to repair the world (Tikkun Olam).
We are an egalitarian, unaffiliated community that is part of a larger progressive Jewish movement. We share in the rich wisdom and inspiration of Jewish tradition and culture while seeking to challenge, explore, and reinterpret it.
For more information, see our website https://djctoronto.com/
- Chartered Professional Accountant/business or finance professional with accounting experience
- Experience working with not-for-profits and charities
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online and related applications (e.g. Wagepoint)
- Good communication skills and ability to operate as part of a team
The Treasurer is a full member of the Board of Directors, expected to participate and vote on all Board matters.
Specific Treasurer responsibilities include the following:
- Act as the Chief Financial Officer of the organization
- Attend monthly Board meetings, approximately 2-3 hours in duration
- Ensure the Board executes its financial governance, stewardship and fiduciary responsibilities
- Chair the Finance Committee; ensure necessary financial policies are in place
- Work with the bookkeeper and administrator to ensure timely and accurate accounting of monies received and disbursed throughout the year; approve monthly expenses; act as one of the DJC signing officers for banking and payments
- Review monthly and quarterly financial reports; report to the Board on a quarterly basis
- Oversee preparation for annual audit and CRA reporting
- Lead preparation of the annual budget with staff, Finance Committee and Board
- Review ongoing financial performance and long-term sustainability of our organization and recommend to the Board any courses of action required for improvement; ensure the Board is aware of financial risks
- Oversee management of special funds, endowments
- Support the Board of Directors in improving members’ understanding of DJC finances
- Length of commitment: 2 year term, renewable
- Estimated hours required: 10 hours per month in addition to the monthly board meeting, with additional hours typically required for year-end, AGM and budgeting
- Monthly Board meetings are held at 310 Danforth Ave., Toronto (near Chester and Danforth) or virtually, as needed
- Frequency of Finance Committee meetings is as-needed.
How to apply:
Interested? Questions? Please send us an email with your resume and cover letter telling us why you’re interested in the position. Email Kathy Miller at email@example.com.