An Important Community Update on COVID-19 Pandemic
Earlier today, the Government of Ontario declared a state of emergency in the province. As a result of this declaration and its associated orders, core institutions (shuls, schools, daycares), businesses (e.g. kosher restaurants), and events in the Jewish community and our entire society are impacted. The following establishments are legally required to close immediately:
- All facilities providing indoor recreational programs;
- All public libraries;
- All private schools as defined in the Education Act;
- All licensed child care centres;
- All bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery;
- All theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies and concert venues.
Further, all organized public events of over 50 people are also prohibited, including parades, events, and communal services within places of worship, such as synagogues. These orders will remain in place until March 31, 2020, at which point they will be reassessed and considered for extension, unless this order is terminated earlier.
We encourage you to review the latest recommendations from Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health and continue to monitor for new updates as the situation continues to evolve.
We will continue to keep you informed of developments related to COVID-19 as they affect our community.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Senior VP Corporate Affairs, Community Relations & Counsel
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto