For the past 18 years, the people of Sderot have been the target of tens of thousands of rockets fired from terrorists in Gaza, including 180 in the past 24 hours alone. These rockets have caused deaths, gruesome injuries, significant damage to homes and property, and psychological distress. Living under fire for 18 years has left residents in constant anxiety and stress.
Because of you, and your generous ongoing contributions to UJA Federation’s Annual Campaign, we have been able to work with the city of Sderot and its leaders for over a decade to support the city and its citizens on the path to rehabilitate, maintain resilience and prosper under these impossible circumstances.
Through your continued support of UJA Federation’s Annual Campaign:
- Sderot’s Community Center and other public spaces have been fortified to protect them against rocket attacks
- More than 1,400 children participate in clubs and youth movements that focus on empowerment, volunteer values and leadership skills, which have led to a drastic reduction in the crime rate and an increase in community activism
- 1,500 young adults in Sderot receive personal school and employment counseling every year
- The Sinai Shevet Scouts program has thrived, providing a haven for kids to go and play, away from the rocket fire
- 360 kindergarten children are learning math through Robotics programs and 500 elementary school children are enjoying the use of five new science laboratories
- A Scientific Center is being built which will serve as an urban and regional hub for all STEM activities.
UJA is there for the people of Sderot during good times and bad. During times of increased threat, the most significant damage caused by terror is often the damage we do not see. Victims of violence and terror are forever changed through their experiences. Here too, UJA Federation is helping, as you will see through the video of our friend Hezi.
Thank you for your generosity and for helping positively impact the lives of the people of Sderot.