Hashomer Hatzair Canada is seeking a full time Director to join our team beginning in the
summer of 2019. This position is based in our Toronto office during the year and at our camp
location in Perth, Ontario, for seven weeks each summer.
ABOUT HASHOMER HATZAIR CANADA AND CAMP SHOMRIA:
Hashomer Hatzair is a worldwide youth movement active in over 20 countries globally.
Hashomer Hatzair has been at the forefront of youth-led experiential Jewish education and
community building for over 100 years. Our focus is on equipping our youth with a strong
Jewish cultural identity, a deep relationship and engagement with Israel that inspires them to
build achvat amim (solidarity of nations), towards a just and lasting peace, and a strong
community oriented toward social justice.
Located on Otty Lake, in Perth, Ontario, Camp Shomria is the Hashomer Hatzair immersive
summer home away from home, where lifelong friendships are made. Days are spent swimming,
canoeing, playing sports and games, doing arts and crafts, tending our gardens, making music
and drama, and so much more.
Hashomer Hatzair Canada offers year round programming for our youth participants and leaders
as well as our wider community of alumni and parents. Year round programming is based in
- Providing consistent leadership and an innovative vision in accordance with Hashomer
- Hatzair Canada’s developing strategic priorities.
- Management and leadership of a four-person professional staff team.
- Overseeing all summer camp operations, including staff hiring and management, site
- management and programming.
- Supporting and working with Hashomer Hatzair Canada’s youth leaders to deliver
- memorable, high-quality summer camp experiences for all campers.
- Overseeing the creation and implementation of a robust recruitment and retention
- strategy for all programs of Hashomer Hatzair Canada. This includes developing
- community partnerships to increase visibility, special events, and strategic incentives.
- Building and managing the organization’s annual budget.
- Leading and collaborating on fundraising initiatives and activities in accordance with the
- Board of Directors’ fundraising strategy.
- Supporting the Educational Director in crafting and implementing an educational strategy
- that is in alignment with the values and methods of Hashomer Hatzair.
- Fostering and managing key stakeholder relationships.
- Mentor and role model to all staff members and youth educators
- Liaison with Hashomer Hatzair Board of Directors
- Represent Hashomer Hatzair and Camp Shomria in the community
- Address for community stakeholders to share ideas, concerns, questions, etc.
- The Director reports to the Board of Directors of Hashomer Hatzair Canada. Performance
- reviews will take place on an ongoing basis.
REQUIRED AND DESIRED SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Commitment to the mission of Hashomer Hatzair Canada and the model of
- Degree in related field, for example, MBA, nonprofit management, Jewish professional
- leadership, etc.
- Previous experience working in: non-profit organizations; hiring, training, and managing
- employees; financial management; strategic planning and organizational development;
- residential summer camp
- Previous experience working with Hashomer Hatzair and/or the Toronto Jewish
- community is a plus
- Background in experiential education is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Suite
- High proficiency in oral and written English (required), Hebrew (asset), Arabic (asset)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively manage and lead others
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and manage many ongoing projects at once
- Flexible attitude
To be negotiated. Commensurate with skills and experience. Room and board will be provided for
the seven weeks spent at Camp Shomria each summer.
- Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes including evenings and weekends
- Occasionally, working on religious or civic holidays may be required
- Must hold a valid Ontario drivers license and have regular access to a car
- Must be available to participate in trainings in Toronto and one site visit to Camp
- between date of hire and start of employment
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
References upon request. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.