As the coordinating agency of the Downtown Jewish Community Council (DJCC), the MNjcc brings together over 45 downtown Jewish schools, youth groups, prayer communities and congregations, social service agencies, and cultural and recreational programs that serve you year-round. The DJCC invigorates our community by promoting cooperation, resource-sharing, partnerships and collective action between its member organizations. We are committed to the Jewish values of diversity, accessibility and inclusion, motivating the work of our council.
Membership enquiries: Cara Gold, firstname.lastname@example.org
• To gather and disseminate information about our community
• To increase the visibility of downtown Jewish life to the greater Jewish community
• To strengthen communication and cooperation with each other
• To encourage the participation of the downtown Jewish community in activities serving the welfare of the greater community
• To preserve and increase the opportunities for all aspects of Judaism and Jewish life in downtown Toronto
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A MEMBER?
DJCC members represent the diversity of Jewish Life in downtown Toronto. “Downtown” is loosely defined as south of Eglinton to Lake Ontario and East-West along the Bloor Subway line.
Members must have a visible presence in downtown Toronto through their programs and services or by engaging downtown Jewish community members. Having a presence in the downtown is key to being able to take advantage of the DJCC partnership opportunities. We are always supportive of more ways to grow programming downtown. Have an idea? Looking for support to grow your work? Don’t hesitate to be in touch with us.
Please note: The DJCC is not an advocacy organization.
The cost of membership is $125.
MEMBERSHIP ENTITLES ORGANIZATIONS TO:
• Attend 4 annual DJCC meetings
• Listing on the MNjcc website
• Access to other organizations to meet and exchange ideas, address challenges, and form partnerships
• Cross-promote programs with other organizations
• Professional development on topics relevant to your group
• Contribute your voice to helping downtown Jewish life to thrive and grow
• Direct support from DJCC co-chairs
20% discount only for DJCC members for MNjcc bookings*
15% corporate discount at the MNjcc gym
The DJCC meets four times a year. Meetings are facilitated by Co-chairs.
The typical format for a Council meeting includes:
• Deepening relationship activity
• Updates by Council Members on recent activities, requests for partnerships, and upcoming programs.
• Professional development mini-workshop on a topic of relevance to the council, i.e. community response, social media.
• Updates on Working Groups
• A D’var Kehila (Community) delivered by a member of the Council
The Downtown Jewish Community Council offers organizations the opportunity to partner with other Jewish organizations to create unique and impactful programming. Here are some examples:
Holiday Groove: Where Jewish Tradition meets Your Modern Family (Current)
DJCC partners: Paul Penna Downtown Jewish Day School, Downtown Jewish Community School, MNjcc Israeli Connection, Camp Gesher/Habonim Dror.
Shabbat Together: Positive, Accessible and Meaningful Shabbat Experiences (Current)
DJCC partners: Holy Blossom Temple, Miles Nadal JCC, Jewish Family and Child, Makom Creative Downtown Judaism, Matanot Lev, CIJA, Mazon Canada, and Ve'Ahavta.
Tikkun Leil Shavuot: All-Night Study Session (Current)
An annual event hosted by the MNjcc involving panels, community discussions, Chevrutah, Torah Study and, of course, cheesecake!
DJCC partners: City Shul, Narayever, Shir Libeynu, Holy Blossom Temple, Darchei Noam, Paul Penna Downtown Jewish Day School, Hillel Ontario, Oraynu, Ontario Jewish Archives, Makom, Downtown Jewish Day School, UJA, Annex Shul, and MNjcc
DJCC Working Groups are a new initiative for members to take action together for issues of common interest. Initiatives reflect the needs of the downtown Jewish community that have not been adequately addressed or that require more support. Working Groups determine their own course of action.
In 2018, there are 3 DJCC Working Groups:
Jewish Community Response
Chair: Nick Gunz
Chair: Rabbi Aaron Levy
Chair: Jo Michaels
THE DJCC CO-CHAIRS
Cara Gold is the Manager of Jewish Life at the Miles Nadal JCC and coordinates the DJCC. Cara is the founder of Grassroots Shabbat, a Jewish grassroots ritual community. In collaboration with Ve’ahavta, she developed Roots of Poverty, a Jewish social justice course. Cara's mission is to support and grow downtown Jewish life with emphasis on making space for new ways of connecting. Cara holds an MBA|MA in Nonprofit Management and Jewish Professional Leadership from Brandeis University. You can reach her at email@example.com.
Natalie Fingerhut is a longtime Member of the Board of Directors at the Miles Nadal JCC and co-chair of the MNjcc’s Programming and Strategic Planning Committee. For the last several years, she has been a member of the core planning team for the Tikkun Leil Shavuot. Her other involvement in the downtown Jewish community includes volunteer work at the First Narayever Congregation and as a former member of the Board of Directors at Holy Blossom Temple. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.